Monday, January 25, 2010

Another day, another lesson learned.

I have found every day to be a new opportunity for growth and learning. Early on, Fr. Steven Olds, my former formation advisor at seminary, told me that there would be one guarantee in priestly ministry: that challenges would come across my desk everyday.

I have to say, as I continue to the later half of my first year as a priest, that I have found it at times to be overwhelming. People with various needs come to my attention every day: from the person needing assistance with their power bill to a person still grieving the loss of a loved one. At times I find myself helpless in the sight of the problems placed before me. I have even caught myself saying, "Why are they coming to me?" or "Why do they always come to the Church?"

It is then I realize, there is only one Savior Jesus Christ, and I am not he. I act in the person of Christ, but I am not Christ. I share in the priesthood of Jesus Christ, and so those seeking Christ will come my way. It is my role and duty to step back and allow the Holy Spirit to guide my minsitry to those in need.

It is in those moments that I feel overwhelmed is when I get merely a glimpse of the deep yearning that this world has for Christ. I pray that through the love of God, the priesthood of Jesus Christ, and grace of Holy Spirit, my ministry will be fruitful, that Christ may touch the lives of those who seek him every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment