Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Emmanuel: God With Us

"Have yourself a rainy little Christmas, as the fog descends, from now on your car will be covered in dew. So have yourself, a rainy, foggy Christmas now."

The first Christmas as a priest was an extraordinary experience. From the children's Christmas Vigil mass, to the contemporary Christmas Vigil mass, the Midnight mass, and the Sunday morning masses, I was tired, but it was a good kind of tired. I found it very fitting that there was a rainstorm on Christmas eve. In the midst of some very crazy weather, we were inside celebrating the birth of Christ and Christ's presence among us amidst the rainy storm that is sometimes our lives.

This Christmas was difficult in the fact I was not able to visit family, but this allowed me to visit my parish family member's in their time of difficultly. This Christmas gave me a glimpse of what it is like for those who are not able to visit family on Christmas, like our soldiers over seas. This Christmas allowed me to grow into my vocation more fully. Dying to myself, and giving Christ to others.

This Christmas I have a lot to be thankful for. I am thankful foremost for priesthood I share with Jesus Christ. I am thankful for a parish family that has been sooooo supportive and caring. I am thankful for the ability to suffer with those who suffer so much greater than I. I am thankful for God's presence in our lives. I may not experience God's presence at every moment, but I know that my God is a living God, that walks at my side every step of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment