Monday, November 2, 2009

Life is changed not ended...

"Life is changed, not ended." These words echoed in my mind as I celebrated the commemoration of All Souls. Since I have been at St. Ann's, there have been numerous funerals. Some we (The Staff and I) were expecting and others caught us by surprise. As the names of the faithful departed over my short time at St. Ann came to mind, I began to truly understand that simple phrase, "In death, life is changed, not ended." Just about every funeral I have concelebrated with my pastor, he choose the first preface for Christian Funerals, which includes that phrase. I knew of course that we must die to this world to be reborn in life eternal, but there is something more to this phrase.

A parishioner mentioned that a certain parishioner who had died was one of the pillars of St. Ann's. Without missing a beat I said, "Now he is part of the foundation." It was then I realized that the lives of this parish family have not only effect on earth, but continue to pray for us in heaven. I knew of the concept of the communion of saints, those in purgatory, and the Church present, but it was only then did I experience with such power the love of God that binds us all together.

With that in mind, the Eucharist, as the point at which heaven kisses earth, is nothing short of experiencing God's love. What an honor that God has chosen me, a weak man, to bring about such a reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment