Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Chimbote

I have just returned from a mission trip that took place in Chimbote, Peru, about six hours north of Lima, the capital city of Peru. I am so blessed that St. Ann Catholic Church had given me the opportunity to visit the parish that they continually support in Chimbote, Peru. I had many expectations about my trip to third world country. I was looking forward to having my eyes opened to the face of poverty, and the joy of those whose only riches are found in our savior, Jesus Christ. What I experienced was beyond what I could have possibly expected.

Chimbote is a city that was created to support the fishing industry. This city is located near the Pacific Ocean, but is surround by arid desert. If I didn't know better I would have though someone had brought me to the Sahara Desert. The city is busy with noise of cab drivers honking, speaking blaring music, and the occasional whistle of a police officer. I saw living conditions that shocked me, and houses that I couldn't believe people lived in.

Though what stands out the most was the people I encountered. An eighteen year old mother with a 12 day old baby. A old woman hunched over so much that she was bent over. Not to mentioned the many people with disabilities. However, it was the faith of these people that made such a powerful impression upon me. They look to God for answers and have faith that God will take care of them. They even say a prayer after the collection asking the Lord to bless what they have offered to God and his Church.

I hoped that this trip would broaden my view of the Church and its purpose in this world. I have returned with a different perspective on this world we live in, and my priesthood has taken on a new meaning. As I look toward Thanksgiving, I realize that I have a lot to be thankful for, and that there is bountiful harvest that I have been invited to work on.

2 comments:

  1. Hola Padre Pablo
    LIBERATION FAITH

    The last "concilio vaticano" Sacerdotes laboristas y labradores who are working with the poorest of the poor where the poor are.

    MISA CAMPESINA

    Our POPE, Cardenals, bishops, priests, sisters and all of us at the side of the poorest of the poor.

    LES MISSERABLES.

    My life changed when I went to Guatemala as a medical missioner and I saw true poverty.

    All of us we need to go to AFRICA, LATIN AMERICA and all the places of the world where is only poluted water to drink and no food to eat to see it with our own eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reflection came at an opportune time...the rain and wind woke my household last night...cats and dog reacted as they always do with lightening and thunder...they gathered in the master bedroom for "safety"...When I looked out the French doors and saw the branches whipping and the grass shining with reflected rain...I thought of Msgr.'s Thanksgiving Day and Sunday homily...He spoke of a woman at the Ashburn Center who appreciated the beauty of an orange...She lives in a tent, somewhere in our city...Can she stay dry in a storm such as this? I am a person of a "certain age" and I can not recall one night of my life when I didn't have the resources to be safe and secure. I pray I may be able to help a brother or sister to be safe and secure from storm...

    ReplyDelete