Monday, September 14, 2009

Learning a New Art Form: the Day Off

Most mornings I rise from bed before the gift of the new day’s light, ready myself, go to the Judge’s Chambers (the Blessed Sacrament Chapel) for a few minutes; retrieve the newspaper — which I think is purposely thrown in the ditch each morning — and review the headlines. Then I return to the chapel and pray Office of Readings followed by daily Mass homily prep. Then I eat my yummy waffles (or other fruits of this good earth) and I drink “wake-up juice”, aka coffee. I finish and then return to the chapel for Morning Prayer. Then I prepare to depart for Good Shepherd for Mass and/or other pastoral responsibilities (i.e. hospital, homebound, etc.) that weave throughout the day. I pray Daytime Prayer meanwhile, inevitably, my hunger returns around the noontime hour and I remedy that with lunch. The early afternoon I try to set aside time for weekend homily prep and other study (i.e. journal articles, books, e-news, etc.). Typically, I’ll have an afternoon appointment or two then I return home for Evening Prayer and supper with Fathers Foley and Winkeljohn. The evening usually includes parish activities and miscellaneous office business. I return home for Night Prayer and little nighttime reading and BAM..I’m out = full day.

*Notice I’ve used many qualifiers such as “most” and “typically”— ANYTHING can happen to change this flow. My prayer is simply to echo the Psalmist: “My heart is ready, O God.” Also, I didn’t mention the weekends. I asked for them off, but wasn’t successful.

BUT…A new art form is developing: The Day Off! It is an art. My basic materials that I try always to include in this very important masterpiece are 1) NO ALARM, 2) NO SHAVING and 3) LITTLE OR NO TECHNOLOGY. Brief comments on 1 and 3 (N.B. I think most men know where I’m coming from with 2). 1) It’s so nice to allow the Lord and His angels to wake me in the AM and not the annoying sound of some plastic device. 3) I really feel a difference in my soul when I take a 24 hour break from the cell phone and computer.

These above comments, some serious, some in jest, are merely to say that the art of the day off has become, for me, geared to re-creative leisure and rest that allows an intentional spiritual space and atmosphere to emerge for holy and refreshing communion with God (cf. Mk 6:30-31). This priest needs the fine tuning of his interior listening to the unique offered call to holiness and to better serve the needs of His People. I’m also His mission. The art of the day off is the art of allowing Him to be successful in that mission.

All this and loads of fun, too!!!

Father Will

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that, Fr Will! I'm really spoiled on #2: I only have to be in the office two times a week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the "no technology" idea, Father! While as a Mom and caretaker of older as well as younger folks, I couldn't responsibly turn off the cell - taking a break from the emails, and perhaps TV and radio, etc. one day a week would be a good thing. "Try a diet of quiet." Good thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a great insight... you're always in my prayers. For the Year of the Priest, we at Pensacola's St. Mary's Perpetual Adoration pray for specific priest for the week & put the names under the Blessed Sacrament Monstrance. All 3 priests at Good Shepherd Parish will be on March 28 - April 3, 2010. God bless.

    ReplyDelete