Monday, October 12, 2009

The View from the Altar

When I look out into the congregation on Sunday, waiting for them to settle in their seats for the homily, I see a lot more than just faces in a crowd. I see a community of faith that has persevered through many trials and difficulties. I see their joy, and I see their pain. I see their peace, and I see their uneasiness. I see the broken body that is the mystical body of Christ. I see my home.

Although it has only been three months and I still feel like a newbie, I am beginning to grasp my parish ever closer to my heart. Every Mass, every confession, every trip to the hospital, draws me into ever closer intimacy with my parish. It is not only the good times but the struggles that bring me deeper into parish life. It is in the conflicts, the issues that arise, that I am given to opportunity to grow deeper in relationship with those I minister to.

I have come to understand that Hurricane Ivan and Dennis forever changed this community of faith. There was and still is residual pain and suffering still lingering in the community, but this is overpowered by the great unity that was sparked in those troubling times. I have come to understand and appreciate the culture of the community of Gulf Breeze.

When I look out into the congregation, I don't see parents, retired elderly, small children, young families. I see the family that has accepted me into their home. I see a people thirsting for the word of God to come alive in their hearts and lives. I see the Kingdom of God being made manifest before my eyes.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your paternal perspective on the community, Fr Paul! It's really beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete